A little extra effort
How to best prepare a home for a virtual tour
It’s been said time and again: virtual tours are the gold standard when it comes to visuals for real estate marketing. Offering a digital walkthrough of a home for sale offers unmatched convenience to buyers. For sellers, it’s a proven way to get more money from the sale.
Efficiency is one trait that sets Lighthouse Visuals photographers apart from the rest. But for photographers to maximize efficiency, they’ll need a little help from sellers and real estate agents. They also stand to benefit from an efficient experience because it means they’re getting the most out of their time commitment.
Preparation is important to make sure that your virtual tour is of the best quality possible. Here is what sellers and agents can take care of ahead of time to make the virtual tour appointment go smoothly, maximizing the time spent.
The camera sees all
The most important thing to know when you’re preparing your home for a 3D tour is that the Matterport cameras Lighthouse Visuals photographers use can see anything you can see. Treat preparation like getting ready for an open house because, in a way, that’s what a virtual tour is — a 24/7 digital open house that anyone can access from anywhere.
Any clutter can be a turn-off for prospective buyers. Don’t miss out on sales because of poor preparation!
What to do inside your house:
- Turn on all lights, including lamps, under-counter lights, and stove lights.
- Remove and replace any old or burnt-out bulbs. Keep the color and kind of bulb as consistent as possible.
- Open drapes and blinds, especially in rooms with a view. Natural light is your friend!
- Conceal extension cords and unplug them from the wall if needed.
- Tidy up any clutter.
What to do outside your house:
- Move all cars from the driveway and park out of sight from the house.
- Move trash cans out of sight.
- Straighten up any outdoor furniture or decorations.
- Remove any extraneous or inappropriate signs or items.
- Mow the lawn and remove weeds. Consider hiring a professional landscaper to make the exterior stand out!
- Make sure to let everyone who needs to know that photographers will be on-site working.
A little extra effort goes a long way in getting the most out of marketing materials. An exceptional 3D tour makes a home as accessible to as many potential buyers as possible. More eyes on a listing can mean more offers, and additional competition can mean more money for the sellers and their agents!